ABOUT INDIE FUND
What is Indie Fund?
Indie Fund is a funding source for independent developers, created by a group of successful indies looking to encourage the next wave of game developers. It was established as a serious alternative to the traditional publisher funding model. Our aim is to support the growth of games as a medium by helping indie developers get (and stay) financially independent.
Additional details about the need for Indie Fund and the rationale behind it were shared at the Game Developers Conference in the talk titled Indies and Publishers: Fixing a System that Never Worked.
What is Indie Fund’s investment model?
Here’s a quick summary of how our funding works:
- Flexible budget, no milestones – We start out with your best guess for the budget and pay that out in two chunks: one after signing, the other when the first is close to running out. If more funding is required, or if less funding is required, we can adjust the second payment.
- Repayment – Once the game is released, you first pay back the investment and then share 25%of the revenue, until we double the initial investment, or until 2 years after the initial launch date, whichever comes first.
- No long term obligations – If the game did not generate enough revenue to repay the investment within 2 years of release, the agreement expires and you no longer owe Indie Fund anything. Whatever revenue your game generates from that point on is yours to keep. If the game does generate enough revenue to repay the investment the agreement could expire even sooner leaving 100% of the revenue to you.
Click here to read & download all of the terms of the current Indie Fund agreement, available for the public.
Who is Indie Fund?
- Jonathan Blow - Creator of Braid (XBLA / PSN / PC), founder of the Experimental Gameplay Workshop, currently working on The Witness.
- Ron Carmel – Co-Founder of 2D BOY and co-creator of World of Goo (WiiWare / PC), currently working on unannounced project.
- Kyle Gabler – Co-Founder of 2D BOY and co-creator of World of Goo (WiiWare / PC), Co-Founder of the Experimental Gameplay Project, currently working on unannounced project as part of Tomorrow Corporation.
- Aaron Isaksen – Co-Founder of AppAbove Games and co-creator of Cadena de Presos and Armadillo Gold Rush (BREW / J2ME / Blackberry), currently working on Rocket Blocks and unannounced project.
- Kellee Santiago – Co-Founder and President of thatgamecompany: flOw (PSN), flOwer (PSN), and Journey.
- Nathan Vella – Founder and President of Capy, responsible for Critter Crunch (PSN / iPhone), Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (DS/XBLA/PSN), currently working on a handful of games, including Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP.
- Matthew Wegner – Founder of Flashbang Studios (Off-Road Raptor Safari, Blurst), Independent Games Festival co-chair, Independent Games Summit Advisor, TIGRadio host, Fun-Motion editor. Currently working on unannounced project.